The City of Augusta loves public art and we have ten new sculptures to show off downtown for our visitors and locals to enjoy. Four sculptures from the first Sculpture Trail have been added to the City’s public art collection and can be seen on the Trail with the new sculptures, plus one more new donated piece of art called Tropical Dreams, by Roger Finch.
The sculptures are on loan to the City of Augusta for two years. The new sculptures are available to purchase. Any pieces that are not purchased will be returned to the artists.
The Trail features 15 beautiful sculptures by nationally renowned artists on display in downtown Augusta from January 2023 until December 2024.
Augusta’s Sculpture Trail public art sculptures are placed at intervals that make for a fun and easy outdoor walking trail. Selected locations use City of Augusta sidewalks for access, making them fully accessible for everyone to enjoy. The new route from the Augusta Common and along the Savannah River to the Fifth Street Pedestrian Bridge is a perfect Family outing!
The digital walking tour produced by Otocast can be accessed from any mobile device and will help visitors learn specifics about each work of art while they explore the Augusta Sculpture Trail.
1. Endeavour by Chris Plaisted – at Augusta Common & Broad Street
2. Duet’s Dance: Herons in Conversation by Lee Bell -at Augusta Common & Broad Street
3. What’s in the Queue? by Gregory Johnson – at Augusta Common & Reynolds Street
4. Popsicles by Craig Gray – at Augusta Common & Reynolds Street
5. Without Limits by Gus & Lina Ocamposilva – at Eighth St.& Riverwalk
6. Unstoppable by Gus & Lina Ocamposilva – at Eighth St. & Riverwalk
7. Maestro and Forever Young – at Founder’s Overlook on upper level of Riverwalk
8. Hurrying Home by Charles Brouwer – on upper level of Riverwalk
9. Book Bench – A Novel Idea by Craig Gray- at Sixth St. & Riverwalk
10. Sun Lion – at 5th Street Pedestrian Bridge entrance to the Marina
11. Tropical Dream by Roger Finch – at 5th Street Pedestrian Bridge entrance to Marina
12. Soccer Dude by Gonz Jove – on 5th Street Pedestrian Bridge
13. Ruthless by Flaminio Antonio – on 5th Street Pedestrian Bridge
14. Rise by James E. Weitzel – on lower level of Riverwalk
15. Oraiste agus Liath by Aisling McDonald – on lower level of Riverwalk
Augusta, Georgia has a long history of being the birthplace and home to exceptional artists including James Brown, Jessye Norman, Jasper John, Frank Yerby, Laurence Fishburne, and Sharon Jones. It is a cultural jewel with a thriving arts community in all genres of the arts, award-winning arts festivals and lots of cultural attractions for locals and visitors. Public art has been experiencing exceptional growth, including murals and sculptures.